Saturday, September 19, 2015

Deglazing With Wine



My wife and I were making a grocery list and I mentioned I needed some wine, even though my wife and I don't drink I go through a bottle of wine every month or so in the kitchen.  I do most of the cooking and usually use a little wine to deglaze the pan just as I am finished, adding flavor and a moist glaze.  This led us to a conversation about how much wine to use and when - which is something that varies each time according to the pan - what's in it, how much, how moist, how much glaze is on the pan, how hot it is and etc., etc..  The correct answer is of course, just use a squish or a plop or whatever according to the pan,  according to what the conditions, the circumstance is in the pan at that time - that's the frame of reference you use to judge how much wine to put in and that is the reality of the moment, a given reality that has just popped into existence and will pop out of existence when the action is taken and the circumstance no longer exists. Reality itself seems to be a collection of these given realities winking in and out of existence as bubbles in a foam. This of course begs another question - does the sum of the parts equal the whole? 

No comments:

Post a Comment